More confession continues from my previous blog post… I truly believe that if I want to help others who are struggling in their wedding floral design business, I need to be an open book and be totally transparent about all the mistakes I made and how I changed things around. I want you to know that you’re not alone, I actually did experience the things you’re experiencing. I can now lay out the steps for you to fast track to success and not waste years like I had.
I started in the wedding industry by chance. I won’t bore you with the story here, but if you want to know, slide into my DM’s on Instagram and let’s chat! I have no business background and I didn’t even go to school to learn floral design. Going into the wedding industry, I had no business plan, I just did whatever I thought was right. But because of that, for yearsss I’ve been going around in circles and I didn’t know how to break out of it.
There were so many things I wish I had done properly, but I just didn’t know how. Here’s just a few of those things:
- Guesstimated on all my expenses including the ability to upsize my studio and warehouse
- Booked 4 to 6 weddings a weekend (one weekend I had TWELVE weddings!), ran around town delivery, setting up and tearing down from Thursday to Monday, no rest. There were times I delivered to hotels at 5am and ran on 5 hours of sleep all weekend
- Did not price properly for profit. I didn’t mark up correctly on flowers, nor charged properly on delivery, setup and teardown
- Threw money in doing many ads, including Facebook ads, without knowing the ROI (Return on Investment)
- Disorganized and had no system in place to help me do things efficiently
- Was not able to pay myself for (too) many years
Can you relate to any of the above situations?
At a point when I almost broke myself, I decided that this was it. Either I quit or I NEED to turn things around once and for all. I finally seeked help from the right experts. I started from scratch and built my business from the ground up again. This time, the proper way.
Once I was able to figure things out the right way, this was what happened:
- I had an income goal and got to keep more of the money I brought in
- I did only one wedding a weekend, at most two weddings, but definitely not 6, giving me more time to rest
- I marked up flowers and labor properly and actually made the industry standard profit margin, which allowed me to finally PAY MYSELF
- I stopped relying on paid ads, they didn’t do much anyways, which also meant more money in my pocket
- I had systems and workflows in place so that I didn’t have to do things on repeat which gave me more time to work on my business instead of in my business
Invitation to Stick Around
All these allowed me to actually run my business instead of the business running me – non-stop. My invitation to you today, is to stick around as I unfold the steps I took to build a sustainable and profitable business.
This place is for you if you want to:
- Actually make a profit doing wedding florals. This place is not you if it’s just a hobby and you don’t have the desire to make money from it
- Build a business that can stand the test of times. I am able to do 5-figure weddings even in the midst of a pandemic!
- Stop wasting time and be given the exact strategies I used to turn my business around
- Create a lifestyle that allows you more time with your family
- Discover other amazing benefits along the way as you build your dream business!
I’ve put together a Profitable Business Blueprint for you so you can start implementing the right strategies today to create a sustainable business. You can download it here.
If there are other struggles you’re currently going through in your floral design business that I hadn’t mentioned above, let me know below and let’s turn things around together!
Cheering you on!